Experienced Trial Attorneys Standing Up for Your Rights in Minneapolis
Minneapolis Burglary Lawyer
Fighting for You in Times of Need
Burglary is the act of entering a building without the consent of the owner in order to commit a crime. This is frequently referred to as breaking and entering with the intent to commit theft. Minnesota law bases the criminal charges on what kind of structure was entered and what occurred inside.
Regardless of the specifics of your charges, an experienced Minneapolis burglary attorney at Meshbesher & Associates is ready to help you. Our team of skilled lawyers will get to know you and your situation to develop an effective defense strategy that can improve your future.
Call us at (612) 200-1526 to get started on your case today.
Burglary is classified within four degrees and the consequences will depend upon those degrees. There are several factors that determine the classification of your charges.
The most common determining factors include:
- The type of property that was burglarized
- Whether anyone was present at the time other than an accomplice
- The presence or absence of a weapon
- If a business was occupying the property and the type of business
- The value of the property taken
If the property value of the item taken is over $1,000, then a felony will be charged. However, it should be noted that theft of property valued at less than $1,000 can still be classified as a felony depending on who the item was stolen from. For instance, stealing from the government or a vulnerable adult will be regarded as a felony. The theft of a firearm is also a felony regardless of the firearm's value.
Possible penalties include jail time and fines. Of course, the amount of time served and the cost of the fines will be determined by the severity of the crime. No matter how minor or severe the crime, there are collateral consequences that can interfere with your life. For instance, you may not be able to find a place to live if background checks are performed. You may not even be able to find a good job. Your earning capacity is going to be limited due to this.
Knowing the different degrees of burglary charges can help you better understand your case and what to expect.
The following are the categories in which burglary is placed:
- First-Degree Burglary: An individual enters a building without the consent of the owner or occupants and commits the crime while the building is occupied. Burglary also falls within this category when a weapon is used and if there is any kind of assault committed.
- Second-Degree Burglary: An individual enters a building without consent and does so by force, such as using a tool to gain entry. Bank and pharmacy robberies usually fall within this category.
- Third-Degree Burglary: An individual enters a building without consent in order to commit a gross misdemeanor or felony, such as stealing. Third degree is a felony regardless of the type of crime committed inside the building.
- Fourth-Degree Burglary: An individual enters a building without consent in order to commit a misdemeanor other than stealing.
If you have been charged with burglary, then you need to have an attorney by your side to defend you. Even reduced charges can have an impact on your future due to the fact that the more severe the charge, the more it will interfere with your personal life. Of course there is no charge that is beneficial, but your future can be made better with our help.
Attorneys Who Care
When you've been accused of burglary, don't back down. You do not have to admit guilt, innocence, or even say a word. It is best that you have your Minneapolis burglary attorney by your side to help you and to make sure your rights are not violated. You can count on Meshbesher & Associates for unparalleled service and devotion to your case.
Contact us today at (612) 200-1526 for a free case evaluation.
Personalized Case Attention
Proven Track Record for Results
Diligent Legal Advocates
Trusted Legal Insight & Experience
"Dependable, Intelligent, Knowledgeable, Hardworking, Experienced & Dedicated"Antonio Rivera
"WORTH EVERY PENNY SPENT"Valentino
"Will Stand with You & Fight for You"Cyndi H.
Fill out the form below. We will put you in touch with our attorneys as soon as we receive your contact information.