Drugs are highly regulated in the state of Minnesota. The legislature has created numerous criminal laws to deter the unlawful possession, sale, and use of various drugs, otherwise known as "controlled substances," such as marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, LSD, oxycodone, and morphine, to name a few.
All felony drug charges in Minnesota are serious matters that will have a major impact on your life. If you have been charged, Meshbesher & Associates can help by providing defense strategies tailored to your unique situation.
The Different Degrees of Drug Crimes
Drug crimes are not one size fits all.
The severity of the charge often depends on three key factors:
- The amount of the controlled substance
- The type of controlled substance
- Whether the person sold or merely possessed the controlled substance
No matter what level of crime you've been charged with, you need an experienced Minneapolis drug crime attorney to guide you through the criminal court system and protect you from the immense power that the government holds over you. The attorneys at Meshbesher & Associates understand the stress our clients feel. We're here to help in many ways: We can work to help you stay out of jail or prison, keep your record clean, and get you headed back in the right direction. We're also here to make sure that you understand what's going on every step of the way.
The severity of felony drug charges increases from fifth degree at the low end of the spectrum to first degree at the high end.
Controlled substance crime in the fifth degree includes:
- Selling any amount of marijuana
- Obtaining any amount of any controlled substance through deception or dishonesty
Controlled substance crime in the fourth degree includes:
- Selling any amount of a Schedule I-III controlled substance, other than marijuana
- Selling any amount of marijuana in a school zone, park zone, public housing zone or drug treatment facility
- Possessing any amount of a Schedule I-III controlled substance with the intent to sell it, except for marijuana
Controlled substance crime in the third degree includes:
- Selling any amount of a "narcotic drug"
- Selling five kilograms or more of marijuana within a 90-day period
- Possessing 3 or more grams of cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamine within a 90-day period
Controlled substance crime in the second degree includes:
- Selling 3 or more grams of cocaine, heroin or methamphetamine within a 90-day period
- Selling 25 kilograms or more of marijuana within a 90-day period
- Possessing 6 grams or more of cocaine, methamphetamine or heroin
Controlled substance crime in the first degree includes:
- Selling 10 grams or more of cocaine, heroin or methamphetamine within a 90-day period
- Possessing 25 grams or more of cocaine, heroin or methamphetamine
- Manufacturing any amount of methamphetamine
Each degree of controlled substance crime carries different consequences, which vary in severity.
Protecting Your Rights, Your Future, & Your Freedom
The experienced Minneapolis drug crime attorneys at Meshbesher & Associates have a proven track record of successfully defending drug charges through dismissals, diversion or reduced charges. More than that, we are well aware of the stress and fear our clients face when charged with a serious felony. We will guide you through your case and make sure that all of your questions are answered. We work tirelessly on your case so that you can rest easy knowing that every possible measure has been taken to obtain a favorable outcome.
Personalized Case Attention
Proven Track Record for Results
Diligent Legal Advocates
Trusted Legal Insight & Experience
"Dependable, Intelligent, Knowledgeable, Hardworking, Experienced & Dedicated"Antonio Rivera
"WORTH EVERY PENNY SPENT"Valentino
"Will Stand with You & Fight for You"Cyndi H.
Fill out the form below. We will put you in touch with our attorneys as soon as we receive your contact information.