What Are the Different Insurance Requirements for Cars & Motorcycles?

A person pulling up "car insurance" on a computer.

Do Motorcycles Need Insurance?

If you ride a motorcycle, Minnesota state law requires that you have insurance. The owner and primary operator of the motorcycle need to have adequate coverage for bodily injury to another person and property damage before taking their bike for a ride on the road.

It is important to be informed about the insurance requirements for the vehicle you use to get around. In this blog, we overview some of the basic insurance regulations applicable to the operation of a motor vehicle or motorcycle in Minnesota.

Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in Minnesota

Minnesota requires motorcycle riders to have $30,000 / $60,000 for bodily injury protection and at least $10,000 for property damage liability. Minimums for bodily injury coverage are “split limits.” The $30,000 amount is the minimum amount of coverage per person injured in a single accident, while the $60,000 amount is for all persons who suffer injury in any one accident. Although 30/60 is the minimum amount required by state law, purchasing additional coverage will better serve you if you are ever involved in a serious accident.

If you have taken out a loan to purchase your motorcycle, your lender might require you to have collision & comprehensive coverage for physical damages. This type of insurance coverage can be used to replace your bike if it is damaged in an accident, vandalized, or totaled because of a fire.

In addition to collision & comprehensive coverage, you should also consider getting uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This type of insurance will cover you if you are injured in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have enough insurance to compensate you for your injuries, or who doesn’t have any insurance at all.

Car Insurance Requirements

When it comes to driving a car in Minnesota, Minnesota law requires you to have the following types of coverage:

  • No-Fault Insurance
  • Liability Insurance
  • Uninsured Motorist Insurance

No-fault insurance covers your medical bills and lost wages after you have been in a car accident, regardless of who is at fault for the accident. Minimum limits for No-fault coverage are:

  • $20,000 for medical coverage
  • $20,000 for loss of income

Liability insurance covers property damage and injuries for accidents where you are found to be at fault. Requirements for minimum liability insurance includes:

  • $30,000 for injuries per person
  • $60,000 for total injuries per accident
  • $10,000 for property damage

Just like with motorcycles, uninsured motorist insurance will take care of your injuries sustained in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have sufficient (or any) insurance. This type of policy can also help cover your medical expenses that exceed the limits of your personal injury protection.

Have you been injured in a car or motorcycle accident? Contact our Minneapolis vehicle accident lawyers at Meshbesher & Associates, P.A. to schedule a free consultation by calling (612) 200-1526.

Related Posts
  • Self-Driving Cars Changing the Landscape of Liability Insurance Read More
  • Minnesota Legislature Declines to Restrict Phone Use While Driving to Hands-Free Devices Only Read More
  • No-Fault and Liability Insurance Requirements for Ridesharing Services Read More