The Other Driver Doesn't Have Insurance! Now What?

Despite the fact that drivers in Minnesota are required by law to carry insurance for their vehicles, many individuals scoff at the rules and continue to drive their cars without insurance. Not only are such actions illegal, but they may put your financial future at risk if you ever suffer an injury in an accident caused by an uninsured driver ― especially if your injury leaves you unable to work and with significant amounts of medical expenses.

Fortunately, however, even if the at-fault driver doesn't have any insurance ― or not enough to cover all of your damages ― you may still have options available following a serious car accident. Specifically, you may be able to file a claim under your own policy's uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.

So What Happens If The At-Fault Driver Doesn't Have Insurance?

UM/UIM coverage provides protection if you ever suffer an injury in an accident caused by a driver who has little liability coverage or none at all. You may also be able to file a claim for UM/UIM benefits in situations in which you are unable to find the at-fault driver, such as a hit-and-run accident. Essentially, UM/UIM coverage exists to protect you from two things you have no control over: how well or poorly other motorists drive, and how much liability insurance those motorists carry.

Your UM/UIM coverage may compensate you for several types of damages related to your car crash, including:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering

For example, if you are in a collision with an uninsured driver ― or a driver who only carries the legally required minimum in liability insurance ― your UM/UIM coverage is there to compensate you for the damages you would otherwise be able to recover from the at-fault driver, but are unable to do since his or her liability coverage is either entirely lacking or insufficient.

However, it is important to remember that your own insurance company will only pay up to the UM/UIM limits that you purchased, which are commonly $50,000, $100,000 and $250,000.

You Should Contact A Lawyer Right Away

While there are several things you should do following a car accident, one of the most crucial tasks is to contact an experienced car accident injury attorney. At Meshbesher & Associates, we will carefully investigate the circumstances of your accident and help ensure your insurance claim is properly filed. Simply put, we will work to make sure you obtain the maximum recovery for your injuries so you do not find yourself still having to pay a significant amount of money out of your own pocket.

In our experience, there is an undeniable correlation between irresponsibility behind the wheel and irresponsibility in maintaining auto insurance. Therefore, if you or a family member has been involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist or hit-and-run driver, you need a law firm you can trust ― you need Meshbesher & Associates. Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our lawyers. You can reach our Minneapolis office by calling 612-332-2000 or by email.