No matter how serious a car accident may be, you need to always keep a level head. After all, the actions you take immediately following an accident may impact whether or not you are able to obtain the justice ― and compensation ― you deserve.
5 Things You Must Do After A Car Accident
- STOP: No matter who is to blame for the accident, Minnesota law requires you to stop immediately following a car crash. In fact, if someone is injured and you fail to stop, you can face time in jail and a significant fine.
- Call 911: Whether you need an ambulance, the police or both, it is crucial to call 911 right away if you are involved in a car accident. Even if you don't think you are severely hurt, it is important to seek medical care as you may be suffering from an injury you are not even aware of. Also, you may need the police to manage the scene and create an accident report ― something that may prove essential down the road if you need to file a personal injury claim.
- Gather information: You should also immediately collect as much information as possible at the scene of the accident, including the makes, models and license plates of any vehicles involved, as well as the names and contact information of all witnesses. If you have a cellphone with a camera, use it ― take photos of everything you can. In addition, make sure to exchange insurance and driver's license information with the other motorists.
- Make sure there is an accurate record of events: After the police arrive at the scene, make sure to tell them exactly what happened and that they accurately record this information in the police report. You will need to obtain a copy of this report as well. Lastly, you should write down your own memory of the car crash as soon as possible ― you may need to rely on certain details later, and you don't want to risk forgetting them.
- Contact an attorney: If you want to protect your rights, you should call an experienced personal injury lawyer right away. An attorney can help you collect important evidence and make sure you don't miss any important details such as contacting your insurance company or filing a report with the state, which is required if someone has been injured or if there is more than $1,000 in total damage.
While the above-referenced steps are always helpful, it is important to remember that every situation is different, meaning additional steps may be required for your situation. This is simply another reason why you need a law firm you can trust handling your case ― you need Meshbesher & Associates.
Get The Help You Need Today ― Contact Us For A Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in a car accident, call Meshbesher & Associates today at 612-332-2000 for a free consultation. You can also reach us online. While our office is located in Minneapolis, we help injury victims throughout Minnesota and western Wisconsin.